Monday, November 14, 2005

Time Magazine Nov. 7, 2005 had a special issue on Global Health. It higlighted various individuals working for the cause of global health in the poorest areas of the world.
Meet Dr Paul Farmer. Co-founder of Partners in Health (P.I.H), health care for the poor. His charity built a showcase public-health system in Haiti that delivers high-quality medical care to 1.3 million peasant farmers.
Meet Dr Dora Akunyili. Target of snipers, a bullet graze on her scalp, she as director general of the NAFDAC aims to put drug dealers of counterfeit medicine in Nigeria out of business. The bogus medicine produced by these drug dealers killed 100 Nigerian children in 1990 who took painkillers filled with toxic substances.
Meet Vicky Alvarado. Up to 40% of the population under 5 yrs of age in Honduras suffer from malnutrition, 70% in poorer villages. As a nutritionist she teaches the poor how to provide the best nutrition for their children to grow. By coordinating a group of health workers to go to villages and educate mothers, now smarter parents have the tools to save their own kids.
Meet Peter Okaalet. Bridging the gap between doctors and ministers, this doctor who decided to go to seminary in the 80s serves now as African director for a Christian medical assistance group (MAP international). He has spent the last 12 years working with ministers to redefine the churches response to AIDS.
In Bono of U2's words...
"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for - or blame us for, if we fail".
I wonder what I've got to be
For You to wanna use me
I do not always have just the right words to say
But You taught me simple things
That I'd love the chance to bring
To a world of people who just simply need You
You take the crazy things
You take the weakest things
You use the foolish things
To show Your glory
Lord take my broken heart
Take all of my mistakes
Please, take all of me
I want to show how great You are
[I could be the one - Stacie Orrico]
To all my brothers and sisters preparing to work in the harvest fields all around the world this summer and through to next year, how beautiful are your feet. My prayers are with you. May God bless you and bless through you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the Bono quote :)

12:20 AM  
Blogger Danni said...

haha i knew u would.

Interesting man, Bono is... wouldn't mind being working with him if somehow our lives meet in God's plans. I'll hope that for you too Eddie! hehe :p

1:51 AM  
Blogger H said...

Hi Danni!

Haven't spoken to you for a while....you looked really pretty yesterday...I think you did something to your hair!!

Always thinking and praying for ya!!!

Miss you!!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home